Work from home nursing jobs are on the rise as healthcare companies try to provide both excellent service and cut costs. If you want to be a work from home nurse, the possibilities have never been better!
As a nurse, you may think that your direct care experience won’t be helpful in seeking a job that allows you to work from home. Fortunately, work at home nursing jobs are growing.
Though most companies that allow nurses to telecommute are looking to hire RNs, many hire LPNs/LVNs as well.
Many of these remote nursing positions involve telephone-based patient service or reviewing medical records. A few work from home nurse job titles to search for are telephone triage, case manager, and medical records reviewer.
The companies listed will give you a great starting point to begin looking for these, and many other, work from home nursing jobs.
51 Companies Offering Work From Home Nursing Jobs
1. Aetna is an insurance company with multiple positions that allow you to work remotely. Some of their work from home nurse positions require you to be an RN, but others allow LPN/LVNs. They offer their employees continuing education, the chance to work towards additional certifications, and reimbursement for licensing expenses.
2. Alere develops and manufactures medical diagnostic products. It isn’t always clear on the website which jobs allow the employee to work from home, but there are opportunities available if you have a minute to search.
3. Anthem, formerly WellPoint, is a growing health benefits company. Some of the work from home nursing jobs can be found under “Membership and Enrollment,” “Claims,” and “Customer Service.”
4. Best Doctors is a benefit that is offered by some employers and insurance companies. Their experts review medical records to provide a second opinion, or provide support to the patient in deciding which treatment option to take.
5. Catamaran offers pharmacy benefit management that works to keep healthcare costs down by maximizing communication between patients, caregivers, pharmacists, and other members of the medical team. Most of their positions for nurses require a bachelor’s degree in nursing, and often the ability to get licensed in multiple states.
6. Cigna is an insurance company with open positions worldwide. They hire LPNs, RNs, counselors, and other health professionals from a variety of backgrounds to improve their customer service and clinical outcomes.
7. Express Scripts, a mail order pharmacy, has virtual jobs available in nursing, pharmacy, customer service, and other professions.
8. Humana is an insurance company that hires in the United States and the United Kingdom.
9. McKesson is part of the supply chain for many medical and pharmaceutical products. Their customers are typically businesses, not end users. Use the keyword “remote” when searching jobs from the Careers page.
10. PharmMD, based in Nashville, focuses on communication and collaboration between patients, pharmacists, and physicians. They don’t appear to have many work at home nurse positions currently open, but keep checking back because they do allow some positions to work remotely.
11. The Hartford offers a variety of insurance products and services. They offer work from home nursing jobs primarily in case management.
12. UnitedHealth Group is a health insurance company with multiple work from home nursing jobs. Searching for “telecommuting” in their career search brings up over ten pages of open positions.
13. SYKES hires registered nurses to work in their Telehealth department. They also hire work from home nurses in Canada!
14. HealthHelp hires nurses to work from home as Clinical Review Nurse. You must have a current license as LVN, RN, or LPN. Thanks again to reader S. Smith for this lead!
15. eQHealth Solutions hires RN case managers.
16. Piedmont Healthcare has home-based positions for RNs and other healthcare professionals.
17. Altegra Health hires nurses and other healthcare professionals to work from home.
18. Find all remote positions at Molina Healthcare by selecting “Remote Employees” from the Work Location drop-down box. Thanks to reader C. for sharing this lead!
19. Total Med is a healthcare staffing agency that contracts with clinical and non-clinical healthcare professionals. I’ve seen a Remote RN Case Manager position available with Total Med, among others.
20. 83bar hires work from home nurses as Clinical Contact Specialists. In this position, registered nurses consult with and set appointments for people with health concerns who need to connect with 83bar’s client companies.
21. BroadPath provides business process services to healthcare payers and providers. You can find work from home positions from telesales agents to pharmacy technicians.
22. WellCare provides government-sponsored managed care services. WellCare hires RN Field Service Coordinators to work from home, but travel within your area is required. Currently the home-based nurse position is open in select cities/counties in TN, TX, KY, and MS. Wellcare is also hiring a Remote Coding Research Analyst.
23. Genex is a managed care provided hiring Remote Telephonic Nurse Case Managers.
24. Highmark Health and its subsidiaries and affiliates make up an integrated health care delivery and financing system, providing health insurance, business processes expertise, and other services. Highmark is hiring Medical Case Managers to work at home in West Virginia. Highmark also hires for other home-based clinical positions.
25. CareCentrix manages patient care to the home. CareCentrix has work from home nursing jobs for a Remote Nurse Liaison.
26. Conduent provides various business process services to clients across 18 industry sectors. The company hires work from home nurses in several positions – Nurse Manager, Telephonic Nurse Case Manager, and Medical Information Specialist RN. All of Conduent’s positions appear to be location-specific.
27. Medpace provides full-service clinical development services to biopharmaceutical and medical device clients. They were recently recruiting for Nurse Clinical Research Associate with the opportunity to work from home.
28. BAYADA Home Health Care provides clinical care and support services at home for children and adults of all ages. They are recruiting for a Part-Time, On-Call Manager to work remotely. Bayada is looking for LPNs for this position who must reside in the Denver, Albuquerque, or St. Louis areas.
29. CVS hires for several work from home nurse positions, such as location-specific RNs for Telehealth.
30. If you are interested in teaching, Western Governors University has faculty positions for nurses.
31. OnCourse Learning delivers continuing education, pre-licensing, and corporate training. They recently posted a position for a Remote Freelance Writer for Radiology Nursing.
32. The Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) hires both RNs and LPNs to work from home. One of the titles I’ve seen for RNs is Utilization Review Nurse, and one of the LPN titles is Recovery Audit Specialist.
33. Davita hires RN Case Managers to work from home. These positions appear to be location-based.
34. Herzing hires virtual nurse educators in a variety of positions.
35. Children’s Health was started by nurses in 1913, and is now the seventh-largest pediatric health care provider in the country. It appears that nurses must be based in Texas for remote positions.
36. Corvel RN Medical Case Managers are both home and field-based with a specified territory.
37. Covance hires RNs and other healthcare professionals for home-based positions.
38. McBee provides managerial and financial consulting services to the healthcare industry. McBee is recruiting (as of the date of this update) for an Oasis and Coding Review Nurse to work remotely.
39. Mitchell International hires Nurse Case Managers to work remotely. This position is being offered in OK, CO, and TX.
40. Brown & Brown Insurance is recruiting for Nurse Case Manager who can train onsite in the Georgia office. The candidate must have a Georgia RN license, but the job description states that the company is willing to consider candidates in FL, SC, and NC in addition to GA residents.
41. You can be a work at home nurse anywhere in the US as a Care Coach with Catasys. Both RNs and LPNs may qualify for the position.
42. eviCore hires Clinical Reviewers, both RN and LPN, to work remote. Thanks to reader Sherie Robertson for this job lead!
43. Magellan Health hires for RN Care Coordinators and other work from home nursing jobs.
44. LifePoint Health hires pharmacists to work from home, and they are recruiting for a Denials Nurse position that is a “potential work from home” job. The Denials Nurse may be an LPN.
Telephone Triage Nurse Jobs
The following companies have jobs available for nurse telephone triage. This service is often contracted by doctor’s offices for after-hours contacts. Sometimes insurance companies have openings for this position as well.
When a patient calls in, the nurse listens to their concerns and symptoms and helps them decide if they can wait for a doctor’s appointment or seek immediate medical care.
45. Carenet nurses are there 24/7/365 for patients. They provide triage, remote device monitoring, and support for medical decision making. Their work from home position requires an RN in specific states.
46. Fonemed provides a nurse advice line, remote device monitoring, and emotional support for mental health. Their jobs require experienced RNs, with emphasis on emergency room triage and pediatric experience.
47. Citra Health Solutions (formerly SironaHealth) provides a nurse advice line with focus on general health information, self-care advice, referral to a physician or other health services, recommendations about how urgent a particular issue might be, and can escalate a call to emergency services when necessary. They employ nurses in specific states.
48. Medcor is an outsourced health services provider that hires Telephonic Injury Triage Registered Nurses. A period of on-site training in McHenry, IL is required.
49. Startek is a business process outsourcing company that hires registered nurses for telephone triage. It appears that this position may only be available for Colorado Springs, CO.
50. DuPage Medical Group is a multi-specialty physician group in Illinois hiring nurses for work from home phone triage. Candidates for this position must complete onsite training in Lisle, IL.
51. Community Health Network hires work from home nurses for phone triage.
How to Find Work From Home Nursing Jobs
Some companies readily identify their home-based positions, for example, here is how easy it is to find eviCore’s remote jobs:
All companies don’t make it as easy as eviCore, though. In many cases you will need to search.
When you arrive on company career sites, look for an option that will retrieve only the work from home positions, such as above. If there is no such option, try these terms to help you find them:
- work from home
- work at home
This should help, but note that just because a position has one of these words in the title or description, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the position is a home job.
For example, if you find a position based on searching for “work from home”, when you click to read the full job description you may actually find that it says “this is not a work from home position”. The search will find “work from home” for you, but it may not always be what you expect.
Or you may find that searching for “virtual” gives you a result that means that you will monitor patients virtually, but you will still work on-site at your employer’s place of business.
Both of these scenarios are common, so read job descriptions carefully.
You could also try your searches with job descriptors, too, such as RN chart review, telephone triage, utilization management, clinical associate, RN case manager, etc.
More Home-Based Nursing Jobs
I strongly suggest FlexJobs for even more hand-picked and screened companies. Whether you are interested only in work at home nursing jobs, or if you are open to another type of flexible arrangement, FlexJobs has you covered.
Companies that Hire LPNs to Work From Home
These companies are already on this list, but I get so many questions about which companies hire LPNs to work from home that I thought I would mention them separately:
- Envision Healthcare
- Bayada Home Health Care
- Hospital Corporation of America
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of companies that hire work at home LPNs. I’ve seen LPN job listings from these companies, but it does not indicate that the other companies listed here only hire RNs.
As always, companies’ hiring needs change, so unless they say directly that they only hire RNs for home-based work, review listings periodically for LPN jobs.
Registered Nurse Case Manager
I’ve noticed during research that though there are plenty of job titles for telecommuting nurses, one that I see very often is Case Manager.
Though certification may not always be a requirement for case management positions, I have definitely seen some organizations list it as a preferred qualification. Either way, a relevant credential can’t hurt :-).
I noticed a conversation between two readers in the comments section that may be helpful if you’re interested in becoming a certified nurse case manager. Thank you to Betty Garner for sharing these resources!
Work Abroad as a Nurse
I get a lot of questions about resources for nurses who want to work abroad. This is not a comprehensive list, but these resources are a good start.
- Indeed Worldwide search
- International Council of Nursing
- Transitions Abroad
Keep in mind that if you are interested in working as a nurse in another country, whether as a work from home nurse or on-site, you need to check with the appropriate licensing authorities for the best information.
I hope you find this guide to be helpful!
You can find more options at the healthcare work from home directory page.
Please share this post with other nurses who can benefit from these work from home nursing jobs!
This post contains affiliate links, and I only recommend products/services that I trust. You can learn more in the Disclosure.
Updated: June 13, 2017